Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Being a woman is divine

You groan out “not another feminist article please…” as soon as you read the title and scroll down searching for something else worth reading. So for those few who are still reading this let me tell you that this is not an article on how much women suffer and how they are being oppressed by men and how women are better than men and blah…blah… blah…. It is just a summary of my short years as a woman and how much I love being one. What actually lead me to publish this blog is this scrap I received from a guy :
“gals r not free lyk guys r ...........!!!!!!!dey've da bloody restrictions

n den u'll start cryin n............oh shit.................. bloody hell........... "
So this blog is specially dedicated to this guy.
When I was born my dad distributed sweets among his pals and he was asked why he was doing such a thing since his child was “only” a girl. He was offered comforting words and wished better luck next time. As I grew up my parents were advised to start saving up soon because according to the society having a girl child is “expensive”. I grew up blissfully ignorant of such things in fact I didn’t even know the difference between boys and girls though I used to wonder why dad had a moustache while mom lacked one.
I was brought up in an “ultra modern” family where there was never any “this is how a girl should behave” talks . I was never reminded of how much a burden girls are to a family. I didn’t know why my relatives used to give “I feel sorry for you” looks to my mom when she told them that both her children were girls. My parents never told me what the society expects from a girl. In short I had a very carefree and “it’s great being a gal” attitude during my childhood. Since I was in a “girls only” school I could never compare my life with guys. And I had no brothers too.
When I entered my teens for the first time in my life I experienced eve teasing. Also a great friend of mine (a guy) suddenly gave me a love letter which made me think that I could never trust guys. This changed my attitude towards guys. So while my pals spent their high school falling over guys and discussing love stories I found it silly. During this time my teachers started giving talks on the proper way to be a girl and about how much girls had to suffer. Also all my friends were telling me how much they wished that they were born as guys. Girls who had brothers told me about how much more freedom guys had. But my parents had so far never curtailed my freedom so I used to wonder why these girls talked like this….
Later I joined a co-ed school. I found out after a long time that guys too can be great pals….and now I could compare our lives. Here again girls were wishing they were guys. I asked them why??? And here’s their reply……
Guys can dress how they like without getting comments. If a girl wears something cool she cannot walk half a mile without getting at least a minimum of five vulgar comments and sneering looks. But u never see gals standing in groups on the roadside commenting on the way guys dress. Guys can go out for all night parties. They can go to the most crowded place safely while we have to drag our dads everywhere or else carry a defence tool with us always.
Guys secure the top ranks in all entrance tests. Guys are given more opportunity to go abroad.
In short according to my friends being a guy is like having an ideal life….

But friends you told me about how much gals miss by not being guys… but have u ever thought about how much guys miss by not being girls….

A woman’s life is unique… we have the ability to feel…. To truly understand…. To create a life…. Can a guy cry openly and vent out his feelings? We are considered emotionally weak.. But a girl can suppress sexual feelings much better than any man…. We are considered physically weak. But no man suffers as much physical pain as a woman….
What we make of our life is decided by our choices. We can either accept the fact that we are women as a burden and live all our life in depression or we can discover how beautiful it is to be a woman and understand the true beauty of life. Girls do have a more challenging life than guys but that makes it more fun. Treat life as an adventure. Don’t be put down by what the society imposes on you. You are the creators of your own destiny.

I would never say a woman is superior to a man or vice versa. They are like two sides of the same coin. In our differences we unite. Creation of life is an emotional and physical union of a man and woman. A family is the result of a strong bond between a man and woman. Nothing can exist if we don’t unite. Girls should accept a boy’s life as different but not feel envious about it similarly a guy should also accept a woman's way of living. Only if we accept the fact that inspite of our differences we are our both equally important can we lead a proper life.

An article like this is usually concluded by a paragraph on how men should respect and accept women and treat them as their equals. But my advice is not to men but to women. It's women who curtail their own freedom. Women themselves believe that they cannot come up in life. They do not understand their own abilities and think that men are always better than them.
Never have such false notions. Consider yourselves as an individual with potentials first and then as a woman. Whatever we achieve or whatever we don’t is dependent on our talents and hard work and not on the fact that we are women. Boys secure more ranks in entrance not because they are boys but because they work hard. It’s an insult to give credit of their achievement to their gender. So break free from such discouraging thoughts. Don’t let scraps like the one I received let you down. Start living the way you wish to. And realise that no one can ever stand in your way to success…. (Coz its always “ladies first“.. hehe…)








18 comments:

sd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

bravo!!!!! i totally agree with you jeeta..gender,caste etc differences are not at all valid in this era..all that matters is what you want and how you get it...the girls you pointed out who lament being a girl are either showing off or are reall brought up strictly...at one point of time in my life...when i was in jr school even i used to compare n feel bad being a girl but the more i see n understand the ways of the world, the more confident n happy i become about the person i am...its all mind games n a matter of making choices that leads you to everything in life....keep penning n sharing your beautiful thoughts!!!!!!!! :)

Unknown said...

jeeta......this was truly marvellous yaar........i have never thought this way nor do i think i would have had i not read this article of urs.......now i feel different and let me see what difference i can make after assimilating what u have written.
anyway this was an entirely new way of looking at a topic that is so widely discussed and debated on.

hoping to see more of ur views in this blog ...................

Edward Jose said...

Miss Jeeta,

It was more than a scrap that fuelled your pen. Its the perspective of a society that ought to be changed. A tough job for your strong pen.

Whatever, its a bomb.
And bombs render peace on important occasions. Particularly Suicide Bombs.

There is food for thought to enough 'Girls' out there. Tell them more. Ask for solid experiences to solid and liquid girls and let your content reach more people.

Technically optimize your blog n give a beautiful and solid layout that stands your content.

A good sheet of freelance journalism. Have an aim to uplift your so called week community.

I wish to call it MicroEmpowerment of the feminine gender.
Keep it up.

Wishing Good luck for your endeavour,
-Edward Jose
http://thenarrateur.blogspot.com

sd said...

good one..!!!..keep writing

karthika said...

jeeta......jus superb da.........u have made me realize how lucky im being a gal...........u r absolutely rite......lets break the damn chains of the society n live our life in the most beautiful way we can..........coz as u said...its ladies first

Anonymous said...

Extremely fair and candid. I think what made it so good (and yes it is) was that it was based on first hand experience and such articles always end up striking a chord in everyone since it comes directly from someone's own life.

I have to agree with most of what you said although there are points I slightly disagree with.

However, all in all, it was really fabulous and i must say that st. thomas is lucky to have potential writers and people with her head, eyes and ears in the right place such as urself... will be watching this space for more

Unknown said...

Hai,jeeta chechi,i read your article it was nice,i know my thoughts will differ from yours becaz i am a small girl of just 11 yrs.but from when looked from my side it was nice.do write again .

looking for the next,
little angel

Unknown said...

well that was really
what i say awesome !

though being a guy
but still i completely support
n approve ur comments
nd one more thing mam

that guys r smart too
not all guys put vulgar comment
not all throw love letters on girls

933\1000 is the ratio
just u hav to select the best one !

Kundan a.k.a Juan said...

umm ..honestly yaar....its utter nonsense...not 4 ur style of writing but 4 ur content....
tat was for a society i feel alienated from.........its not a chauvinist society anymore......the gender boundaries have been isolated ....i mean i never remember thinking on those lines or for the people around me........

nowadays its more or less how a girl potrays her to be ...and take it from me 7 on 10 aren't an engaging lot....

neways liked ur style of writing 4 sure......take care..c ya

Unknown said...

We r each of us also a bundle of talents and deficiencies. We r each truly individual creatures. There is a complex relationship between men and women. The reduction of the complex relationship between men and women to some crude morality play means that the goodness of any particular man is simply an aberration which cannot disprove the tenets of Womenism. Womenists are the most immature of creatures creating a world of fantasy in which they live with their own do’s and don’ts. But it’s our duty to keep a gud relation since it is inevitable for our society. Young people and old people see life differently, men and women see life differently too. These differences are inherent in our limited mortal existence……These elementary truths of life are easily grasped by baboons, lions and wolves. Since they know these elementary truths of life a lioness doesn’t want to b a lion and a lion doesn’t want to b a lioness. Frankly speaking,,,,,,,Its madness to create a world of fantasy…… Womenists create a wall of bitterness… we, youngsters of this generation must try to get rid of this…being a woman is divine….i admit …..but being a womenist is not divine…

remi said...

i really LOVE u jeeta.........u wrote the real facts...u r always d best............

Unknown said...

jeeta...........this is syama.Me & my cousins recently had a very humiliating experience from a person who was ve...ry much like our elder brother.We know him from the very beginning of our childhood & he was the last person from whom we expected such bad behaviour.Owing to the relationship I had with that 'so-called' brother,the incident was a big shock to me,I got so depressed that I started thinking all the flaws of being a girl.Then with the support of my friends and family I was gradually coming back 2 my own self and your article was like a bi.......g 'boost-up'which made that comeback mu...ch easier.Now I see this ncident as a warning that says 'BE CAUTIOUS!DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE!DO NOT FALL INTO SWEET WORDS OF SUCH BROTHERS & LOVERS.THOSE AFFECTIONS ARE SIMPLE FALLACIES WHICH PAVES THE PATH 2 BIG TRAPS!Let dis be a message 2 all girls.Thankyou so................. much dear.Keep writing.

srikant.. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

kooolll.....good work!!!waiting 4 more.,.,.,



jyothi

ARYA said...

GUD..........WORK JEETA.....

Anonymous said...

vaaah what a blog marvalleus fantabalous superb :P:P:P

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.